BioToP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hello from Daniel

2 posters

Go down

Hello from Daniel Empty Hello from Daniel

Post by Daniel Maresch Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:12 pm

Hello,
my name is Daniel Maresch. I was born in 1982 in Vienna and I'm currently working as a technician (in the field of mass spectrometry) for the BioToP program at the BOKU.

Before that, I finished studying Food Science and Biotechnology (bachelor's program) at the University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences and started working for Prof. Friedrich Altmann (glycobiology division) in 2012.

I belong to a (presumably) very small group of people who are passionate about mathematics and statistics. So my decision to study Technical Mathematics at the Technical University of Vienna before my time at the BOKU was not completely unintentionally, I guess. But after a couple of years I figured out that infinite dimensional vector spaces of sine and cosine functions are way too abstract and theoretical for my taste. That's why I'm glad you definitely have to deal with things actual present in the real world when you work in the field of biology, chemistry and process engineering even though those things may still not be visible to the naked eye in most cases. Well, at least I'm used to that by now!

My hobbies are a broad mix of snowboarding, traveling, watching movies, playing computer and board games. I enjoy lying in the park in the sun combined with reading or good music (e.g. Radiohead) as well as cooking and baking.
Having time for friends and family is, of course, very important to me too.

I'm a friend of ducks and feathered animals in general, and this saying suits me: “Please, no blood oranges, I am a vegetarian!”

As you already might know: I'm here (in the BioToP) to help you!  cheers  cheers

As a technician of BioToP my focus is in the field of mass spec, so feel free to contact me if you come across a problem I might be able to help you with. I'll just post a short list of standard things I can do when it comes to the analysis of protein samples. But we can also try to do new stuff with our MS machines as well!  Cool  Very Happy

Total (intact) protein measurement (MALDI-TOF, LC-ESI MS)

On peptide level (LC-ESI MS/MS):
  • Confirm the identity of a specific protein / SDS-band
  • Get an idea of other host cell proteins present in your sample / SDS-band
  • Detailed characterization of your protein. Such as confirmation of N-terminal and C-terminal peptides, high sequence coverage peptide maps, amino acid substitutions/mutations, etc.
    Screening and identification of post translational modifications (e.g. glycosylations, oxidations) / relative quantification
  • site-specific N-(O-)glycosylation analysis

Glycan analysis (MALDI-TOF, LC-ESI MS/MS):
  • Total glycan profile / relative quantification
  • total N-glycan profile
  • total O-glycan profile
  • Isomer analysis of certain N-glycans
Daniel Maresch
Daniel Maresch

BioToP Karma : 2833
Fame : 0

Back to top Go down

Hello from Daniel Empty Re: Hello from Daniel